In the past, I usually had problems related to the hair of my Husky. He shed hair wherever he appears, from the sofa to my bed. This not only made my house a mess of fur but also frustrated a few of my friends who suffer pet hair allergies when they visit my home.
I did use some traditional methods to remove the pet hair, but they were not effective enough to solve my problem. Finally, I decided to use the Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum which is considered as the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair on the market recently. And awesomely, it works really great.
Do you want to know how to pick a good vacuum cleaner for pet hair? The answer is below!
Table Of Content
- 1 Types of Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair
- 2 How to Pick a Good Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair?
- 3 Conclusion
Types of Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair
There are various types of vacuum cleaners across the recent market. The list below shows you the five most common choices.
This is considered to be the most popular type of vacuum cleaners. The name says it all; upright models can hold themselves erect, offering a great ease while using. Also, the upright position is good for people who put up with back problems. They won’t have to stoop and hunch their shoulders too much.
Uprights are usually suitable for large spaces because of their strong suction power. They can deeply dislodge ingrained dirt in a short time, which makes them a great choice for both bare floors and carpets.
Canisters are the combination of the upright’s power and handheld’s convenience. In particular, they’re lighter and allow the longer reach than upright models, but they’re bigger than handheld models. They’re available in small, medium and large capacity.
Thanks to a flexible hose connecting the vacuum to a long wand, they can pick up pet hair and dirt in remote and hard-to-reach areas. If you’re worried about moving problem, don’t fear because their wheels allow them to be pulled along and around your house simply.
These products are built to be compact and lightweight. With one hand, you can hold and use them anywhere you want. Most of the handhelds are cordless and portable, which helps them work well in limited space such as stairs, corners, and car interiors. Some models include long wand, making them look like upright cleaners.
Instead of placing the motor and dirt bin in the base construction, the manufacturers put them on the handle of a stick vacuum. This makes it look very like an upright, but it’s thinner and mostly lighter.
This design reminds us of a stick, and that’s where its name was derived. In term of cleaning the bare floors and light carpets, they do a great job just like the upright models.
This is obviously the most advanced and expensive vacuum cleaner nowadays. The greatest characteristic of robot cleaners is that they work automatically and can clean places where a canister or an upright become useless, such as under the sofa.
As the battery gets low, they return to the charging station on an autopilot. Thanks to a wide range of integrated sensors, they can avoid stairs, walls and other obstacles on the path they run. As you set them, they will roam freely around your house to pick up pet hair and dirt. All you have to do next is simply waiting and enjoying!
How to Pick a Good Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair?
Purchasing a vacuum cleaner that meets your needs wants isn’t a straightforward decision. Aside from that, those costly household gadgets will be used weekly in many years. So, it’s important that you should consider all of your essential demands carefully to get a product that is not only well-performance but also durable.
Below are some tips that will come in handy when buying the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair. Here we go!
Corded or Cordless?
- Corded: They come without a battery inside; thus, they offer more room for the In general, they’re more powerful than cordless models because they’re directly connected to an electric outlet. This greater suction power is suitable for large houses or significant amounts of pet hair.
- Cordless: They’re convenient and portable, unnecessary to plug and unplug, which makes them ideal for apartments, small living space and cars. However, you should make sure they’re fully charged if you want to finish your job before it runs out of battery.
Bagged or Bagless?
Bagless models are easy to empty and tend to get transparent. They allow you to see the amount of dirt you’ve picked. Besides, you won’t have to replace the bag on your hand. For those reasons, they are more popular than bagged models. However, because there isn’t any a bag to hold the dirt, bagless vacuum requires more cleaning.
HEPA Anti-Allergen Filter
This is one of the most important features that a good vacuum should have. HEPA filters are able to capture up to 99.97% allergens (~0.3 microns or more), really useful for people who suffer asthma, allergies and other breathing problems. Many products now come with HEPA air filters to protect you out of the smallest allergy agents and keep the fresh air in your home.
A vacuum that is suitable for your required storage space will work more effectively. If you own a large house, a big vacuum with a large dirt capacity is capable of covering the vast ground quickly. For this, an upright product is an ideal choice. Conversely, in case you live in an apartment, you’d better choose a device with a small dirt bin such as a handheld model. This will save not only your space but also your electric bill.
This factor affects how a vacuum can collect large debris – easily or difficultly. Aside from filtration, this is a crucial consideration before purchasing the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair. Two factors that determine the suction power are the amperage and wattage. However, this isn’t always true due to other features such as the brush tool’s shape or suction mechanism.
Types of Surface
What do you want to vacuum? Hard floors, upholstery, curtains, carpets or your car’s interior? Each type of surface requires different vacuums. If the floor of your house is covered with many carpets or it’s only hardwood, you should select a vacuum that’s specialized in the particular medium.
Most houses combine all of the above surfaces. In this case, finding an all-rounder one that has the ability to tackle a wide range of floors and surfaces is important. For sofas, curtains or upholstered surfaces, attachments and accessories that come along with the vacuum will be very useful as well.
A good vacuum will come with a complete set of attachments. These are incredibly useful for the cleaning process:
- Upholstery Tool: A wide base with fabric strip designed to attract lint and clean furniture and mattresses in your home.
- Extension Tool: Shaped like a telescopic wand and useful for reaching the ceilings, corners or behind the appliances
- Dusting Tool: Brush some areas that are prone to get dust like windowsills, blinds and bookcases.
- Crevice Tool: Designed in thin and angled shape, cope with sofa cushions and baseboards.
- Hardwood Floor Brush Tool: Come in a canister or upright product, particularly useful for solving dust and dirt in wooden as well as tiled floors.
- Ceiling Fan Tool: Angled and shaped like a putter, tackle grime and dust on your blind and fan effectively.
- Mattress Tool: A wise base with textured pads specially designed to suck up dust and debris on your mattresses.
- Beater Bar Brush Tool: Appear in most uprights, clean your carpets deeply, sometimes can work for hardwood or tiled floors.
- Motorized Brush Tool: Found in canister style; help you to clean stairs, mattresses, upholstery, carpet, rugs and car seats.
- Weight: As I mentioned, in case you meet a weakness problems, the lighter one or even a product that can propel itself is a perfect choice.
- Hose Length: You should buy a machine that its hose is long enough to reach a ceiling, high corners or other ‘’remote areas’’.
- Capacity: The larger capacity is, the less regularly you have to empty the bin or bag. Especially, if you’re living in a big house, you should consider this feature not to grow tired of removing it.
- Maneuverability: Flexible to move, easily reach any nooks and crannies.
Keep in mind that a pet hair vacuum cleaner cannot be replaced by a traditional one. For a clearer environment living and better protection for your family, let have a right choice. Hope that with these useful tips, you will find out how to pick a good vacuum cleaner for pet hair.
What is your best vacuum cleaner for pet hair? Let us know by leaving your comment in the box below. Have a nice day!