Cleaning is a difficult part of daily house chores. Not only it consumes a lot of your time and stamina, but also a majority of places in a house requires distinct methods to clean them safely and effectively. For example, curtains and blinds are troublesome headaches when you need to wash them.
The materials of curtains and structure of blinds make them gather a lot of dirt, hair, mold spores, etc. quickly even if you don’t realize it. Dirty curtains and blinds can deteriorate the quality of the air and cause some allergic diseases.
To ensure the healthiness of your family, you should clean your curtains and blinds frequently. You may be surprised, but vacuums can do a good job to keep your door and windows coverings clean. Let find out how to utilize your vacuum for blinds and curtains instead of washing them with soap and water every time.
How to Prepare Before Cleaning
You may wonder how a bulky machine like a vacuum can clean tender curtains or blinds with tiny gaps. Actually, vacuums are more versatile than you may think; all you need to do is to choose a suitable vacuum with some appropriate accessories. For instance, to take care of your staircases, you need the shark rocket corded hand vac (hv292) based on the nature of their surfaces.
Similarly, there are many special and useful attachments such as soft brushes that can help you to vacuum your window coverings with ease and safety. They are provided along with the vacuum or you can purchase them easily from the store since they are mostly inexpensive. Now, let’s start the preparation:
- Choose a vacuum with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters. The reason is that they can eliminate the stubborn dirt layers on your curtains and blinds very effectively, so you can increase the quality of air in your house and reduce your family members’ allergies.
- Check the materials of your curtains; popular types are cotton, silk, lace, etc. Depending on the materials, you can choose the hardness of the brushes, or the levels of air power used while vacuuming.
- Purchase suitable accessories such as tiny soft brushes to easily get into the tiny gaps of your blinds. Drap and mattress vacuum attachments are also very useful because they can get rid of the dirt on your fabric curtains without damaging them.
How to Safely Clean Your Curtains with a Vacuum
You should establish a fixed cleaning schedule in order to keep your house always fresh and clean. It is recommended for you to vacuum your curtains monthly to get rid of dust particles. Of course, you still need to properly rinse them with water and soap, but you only need to do it two or three times per year if you keep them dust-free all the time.
These are the steps and tips you need to follow:
- Clean your windows or doors to prevent them from dirtying your curtains.
- Take out large debris stuck on your curtains.
- Assemble the soft brush to your vacuum.
- Vacuum your curtains from top to bottom, make sure that you cover every area and corner. You should also not press the brush too hard.
How to Vaccum Your Blinds
Blinds are usually made from materials such as polyester, aluminum, PVC, etc. They are much more stable and solid than curtains. However, they consist of thin strips with tiny space between them; complicating the cleaning process. To entirely washing your blinds with vacuum and without damaging them, these are things you should follow:
- Similarly when you clean the curtains, wash your windows beforehand and do the cleaning top down. You should also set a fixed schedule for this tasks. One suggestion is that you can spend an entire free day of the month for cleaning curtains and blinds.
- Remove the large debris with hands or hair-dryers.
- If the dirt layer is too thick, you can wet them with a solution made from vinegar and water before vacuuming
- Open the blinds. Then, you apply the brush in the vertical direction. Don’t do that horizontally because it may leave scratches on your blinds.
- Use microfiber cloth to wipe each strip of the blinds. This step can be dropped if your blinds do not gather much dirt.
In summary, cleaning your curtains and blinds is essential in maintaining not only the appearance of your house but also the healthiness of your family. However, you can see that a vacuum can be a handy and useful tool when you need to keep the cleaniness of your window coverings.
Another tip to keep your window coverings clean is that you should lower the levels of dusty particles in your house. For example, you can wash the filter of your furnace in the winter frequently.
I hope you enjoy my article. If you find it useful, please share with your friends and family so that they can also improve the freshness of their houses. Thank you for reading and see you soon!